Monday, November 10, 2014

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)


 The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)

 Author: Rae Carson
Series: Fire and Thorns, #1
Pages: 423
Challenge: Goodreads Challenge 2014, 2014 Book Bingo Challenge
Genre: Fantasy
Acquired: Library
Rating: ★★


*****

Goodreads Summary:

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.

  *****

 My Thoughts:

Elisa's fate was chosen the moment they found out she was the chosen one. She is soon secretly wed to a king, whose country is heading towards great destruction. With Elisa being the chosen one, she is the only one who can save the people.

At first I found Elisa INCREDIBLY annoying! She constantly put herself down and thought less of herself and wished that she wasn't the chosen one. It was like a never ending whining party!.... I just wanted to forcefully shake her and tell her to have some self-respect and accept her situation. She fortunately gets off of her rain cloud...hallelujah!... and actually realizes her worth and impotance during the remainder of the book.

I absolutely loved the plot, for me it was new and different and I really needed that from the YA that I was reading. This novel explored so many elements and topics like deceit, relationships, self-worth and self-esteem, loyalty, suspense and more. I also found the supporting characters intriguing and necessary to the plot's twists and its progression.  

My favorite scene was the ending fight scene and its intensity. I loved just about any scene with Humberto in it, he was such an sweet character to read about. So as far as what I liked and disliked.... I liked Humberto as well as Elisa and her captors' journeys. Throughout the story their journeys made the plot that much more interesting and worth the read. It was definitely a major part of the story as well as the effect of Elisa being the chosen one.

Now as I have already mentioned... Elisa's problems with accepting herself ruffled me as well as the actual descriptions of Elisa's character in the novel. She was described as being overweight and loving to eat, and she didn't feel that she was as pretty as her older sister who was thinner. I didn't like that she seemed to dwell on the fact that she wasn't like her sister, who seemed to be their family's golden child. I feel that the author may have tried to incorporate real life issues into this fantasy plot to better connect with the readers, but honesty I felt that it was unnecessary within this plot. I felt Elisa used it as more of a handicap and excuse to some of the things that she did or went through. Maybe in a different novel or plot, this concept could have had a real meaningful impact but within this story I felt that it was just too much.

Okay lol.... done with my mini rant....

Now as far as other problems with the story I found the pacing to be a bit off. So hopefully this makes sense and you see what I mean....For some events that happened, they were brushed off and briefly mentioned or explained when at some times they could have been developed and further elaborated on to avoid ambiguity within the storyline. Vice versa, some events were explained to thoroughly and dragged out, when I felt that they could have been explained concisely and briefly since their relevance wasn't as significant as say some of the other plot events.

The ending was very interesting, it ended in a way that made me want to know what happened afterwards. I do really want to know how the story will progress in the other novels in the trilogy. Although there could have been better character development, I did really enjoy this book. It took me a minute to read this... like a week... but that could be in part due to the pacing issues I mentioned, if I got bored with an event or the chapter I was reading I would often put it down and come back about a day or so later. Overall I gave it 4/5 stars and I would recommend to those who like to read fantasy or those who are looking for a new and interesting plot.


If you have read this book, let me know your thoughts below!!

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I love reading comments so don't be shy and leave a comment if you would like. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!