Thursday, July 3, 2014

Miss Match (Lauren Holbrook, #1)


 Miss Match (Lauren Holbrook, #1)

 Author: Erynn Mangum
Series: Lauren Holbrook, #1
Pages: 365
Challenge: Goodreads Challenge 2014
Genre: Contemporary
Acquired: Library
Rating: ★★★


*****

Goodreads Summary:

Lauren Holbrook has found her life's calling: matchmaking for the romantically challenged. And with the eclectic cast of characters in her world, there's tons of potential to play "connect the friends."Lauren sets out to introduce Nick, her carefree singles' pastor, to Ruby, her neurotic coworker who plans every second of every day. What could possibly go wrong? Just about everything.
  *****

 My Thoughts:

Miss Match follows Lauren Holbrook on her journeys to wed off all her friends. She, however, wants nothing to do with marriage but prides herself on setting up everyone she knows with their perfect match. Lauren is a cool character who works at a photography studio that her childhood bestfriend Brandon has now acquired from his father. She is very spontaneous and lively as a character and I connected with her the most. I related to her and also shared her love of drinking coffee and devouring virtually almost anything covered in chocolate, which was a bonus!

As far as other interesting characters, Lauren's sisters  as well as Brandon had frequent appearances throughout the book and I liked that aspect because it really put emphasis on the importance of family and friendship within the book.

Also the problems that Lauren faced with setting up some of her friends were realistic and believable with made the story that much more interesting. I also liked the Lauren had a small character change later in the novel as she evaluated her views on life and what was best for her.

Was this different than what I expected?  No not really. I specifically picked this up from the library because I wanted a light  chick-lit book to read so this was exactly what I wanted to read that the moment. My favorite scene was the "pact" that Lauren and Ryan made. It was interesting to see where it went and how it affected the two of them. I liked Lauren's character most as well as her and Brandon's cute friendship. It just goes to show that some friends will always be there with you even as you transition into adulthood. What I liked least was the lack of an interesting or surprising storyline. It was a bit boring in some parts. I didn't expect this book to be full of action and adventure or anything but I still found myself wanting a little more from the story.

With the ending, I thought it fit the book well and was a good conclusion to this book and I look forward to continuing on with the story in the future. Cover gets a 3/10 from me, it's not very eye-catching or appealing and I rate the book 3/5 as a whole. I would recommend this to someone looking for a laid back read and isn't expecting much from the story other than a light, enjoyable read. I think this would be a perfect winter read or even a beach read.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I love reading comments so don't be shy and leave a comment if you would like. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!