Thursday, June 12, 2014

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)


 Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

 Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days
Pages: 283
Challenge: Goodreads Challenge 2014, 2014 Book Bingo Challenge
Genre: Dystopian, Paranormal
Acquired: Library
Rating: ★★★


*****

Goodreads Summary:

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

  *****

 My Thoughts:

Angelfall is a novel that follows seventeen-year-old Penryn in her search to find her sister and rescue her from the angels that took her. Penryn is a brave and determined young girl with one mission in mind... to rescue her sister and get her family to safety which includes herself, her sister, and her deranged mother. When her sister is taken by warrior angels, she goes after them with the help of a broken and battered angel named Raffe who has his own agenda and secrets.

I really liked Penryn and her dedication and unwavering resolve to get her sister back and to protect her family in the midst of the apocalypse. I related to her most and admired her maturity for her age and how she dealt with having to grow up fast to support and look after her family especially when her mother goes through her deranged, crazy spells.

I also loved Raffe and how interesting he was as a character. He is an angel, who in the midst of a fight with a crew of warrior angels, get his wings brutally and forcefully ripped off. When Penyrn saves him and nurses him back to health after this incident, she convinces him to help her find the location of the angels who took her sister and in return will help him try to get his wings repaired and sewn back onto his body. Another interesting character was definitely Penryn's sister at the end of the novel..... one word.... freaky.

The problems faced in the story suited this particular story nicely. The characters dealt with a kill or be killed mentality as well as the survival of the fittest aspect whilst on their journal to the angels location. Penryn learned early on that she would have to build an alliance with Raffe if she ever wanted to survive and also find her sister.

Penryn also got stronger and more cunning throughout the novel in preparation to try to kick angel ass and rescue her sister. I loved this part in reading the book! I can say that this book definitely took me by surprise a little bit and I loved that! Susan Ee's take on angels and the apocalypse as well as the interesting turn of events near the end of the novel made me shake with excitement. It was soooo good!

My favorite scenes were the camp scene and the club scene at the end. Both were a bit scary and suspenseful but added to the storyline nicely. I also liked the relationship between Penryn and Raffe. As far as ratings go, I give the cover a 7/10 I thought it was very pretty as well as symbolic to the story. I would recommend this to someone who is looking for a different take on an angel story with lots of action and adventure along the way! I gave the overall book a 4/5 and will definitely pick up the next book.

Also the ending was crazy! The cliffhanger at the end.... Ugh.... it ended a little abruptly especially with the Raffe aspect but otherwise it was done really well! Check this one out for sure.

*****

2 comments:

  1. This one was one of my favorites last year. It definitely took me by surprise, too. I've got to get on reading the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I knew I needed the sequel soon once I started reading the last chapter, I can't wait!

      Delete

Hey guys! I love reading comments so don't be shy and leave a comment if you would like. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!