Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ruby Red (The Ruby Red Trilogy, #1)


 Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1)

 Author: Kerstin Gier
Series: The Ruby Red Trilogy, #1
Pages: 336
Challenge: Goodreads Challenge 2014
Genre: Sci-Fi
Acquired: Bought
Rating: ★★


*****

Goodreads Summary:


Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

  *****

 My Thoughts:

Gwyneth Shepherd has always known that there was a time traveling gene in her family. She has also always known that her cousin, Charlotte, who has been preparing since birth to travel time, would inherit that gene. That is until one day Gwyneth slips back through time. Now she must come to terms with her new ability as well as help unravel the mystery surrounding her family and time travel.

Gwen is an interesting character. She has always accepted Charlotte as having the gene thankfully and willingly. I enjoyed her funny and strong-willed personality; I am curious as to how her character evolves in the next books in the trilogy. Another character that I am beginning to like in Gideon, Gwen's time traveling partner. He is an arrogant boy who I grew to love once he stop being such an enormous ass-whole!.... I mean that's how almost all boys start out right? Haha Soooo it wasn't hard to warm up to him and enjoy reading about him. :)

With this book I didn't really have any big problems with the plot that couldn't be fixed and addressed in the next books. All of my questions were more based on vagueness or understanding of the act of time travel.... which should be easily explained more in the rest of the trilogy. Also I would like to point out that this book reminded me of All Our Yesterdays, but seeing as I never finished that book I can't really compare the two. So if you enjoyed this book, All Our Yesterdays would be a recommendation. :)

I liked the mystery of literally EVERYONE in the book... I honestly didn't and still don't know which characters to trust or believe or whose side to be on. I disliked the explanation and details of the chronograph. Still COMPLETELY confused as to its purpose or how it worked but... it could just be me....

My favorite scene was the ending scene with Gwen's cousin. Although it made me even more confused as to who to trust and believe, I liked the placement of that scene in the novel. It makes you think and come to your own conclusions about what you think will happen until you read the next book. Also not a hug problem... but I felt that not much happened in this book. It was like a teaser to what the story could become in the later books. But of course it is what to be expected with this being Book 1.

Cover: 5/10. Not amazing, but the covers match so that's a plus!
World Building: 5/10. Still confused, but it's Book 1
Cliffhanger? Not really. It ended calmly and I wasn't fretting over having Book 2 immediately.

The ending was okay: it satisfied me well enough for me to want to read the next book soon-ish.
I would recommend this to someone who wants a light book with time travel and mystery!


If you have read this book, let me know your thoughts below!!

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I love reading comments so don't be shy and leave a comment if you would like. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!