Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)


 The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

Author: Rae Carson
Series: Fire and Thorns, #2
Pages: 410
Challenge: Goodreads Challenge 2015
Genre: Fantasy
Acquired: Library
Rating: ★★


*****

Goodreads Summary:

She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero.

She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer the power she bears, once and for all, Elisa must follow a trial of long-forgotten—and forbidden—clues, from the deep, hidden catacombs of her own city to the treacherous seas. With her go a one-eyed spy, a traitor, and the man whom—despite everything—she is falling in love with.

If she's lucky, she will return from this journey. But there will be a cost.

  *****

 My Thoughts:

After Elisa's recent victories and defeating her powerful enemies, Elisa thinks all is over and done, her prophecy fulfilled, and that she can rule her kingdom peacefully as queen. But that is not the case. Enemies come at her constantly and while Elisa fights to protect her kingdom and loved ones, she still has yet to fulfill her destiny so she must embark on a new journey to figure it all out....again!

Like in the last book, I really liked Elisa's personality and wit. She's very clever and intelligent, and I enjoyed reading about her journeys in this book. I am also always surprised with the new interesting characters we meet in each book.... this series is also always handy with the plot twists. :)

I liked how the story continued from where the last book left off and how easy it was to pick the story back up after having read the last book over 8 months ago. It is still hard to believe that Elisa's character is only 16 years old because of her maturity I tend to see her as a couple years older easily. I like that she is continuing to grow into her character and evolve into a great leader and queen for her kingdom.

The journeys and adventures in this book are always so interesting and mysterious to read about. You never know what to expect next and that is what makes these books so fun and enjoyable to read. I like the relationships and friendships with the characters the most. I disliked how nothing really ever gets resolved until the very end of these novels. I mean... maybe that's the point to not know everything until the end but.... I like my relationships of any kind to be built from close to the beginnings of books (as opposed to 3/4 through) that way I can see the relationship evolve and grow (for both friendships and love interests). Just a personal opinion though.

My favorite scenes were any scenes with Mara and Elisa. I love their closeness and friendship. I also find the scenes with Elisa with any of her enemies to be favorites as well; I just feel that she handles each situation well for her age in the books. I can admit though that it took me a few days to get through this one since in most of the middle it was a little slow, but for the majority of the rest of the book the pacing was good.

The ending was good. It could have been better and done in a more suspenseful way, but nonetheless it was done nicely and sets up the final book well.
Cover: 5/10
Rating: 4/5
I would recommend to those looking for a good young adult fantasy trilogy with fantastic magic and adventure!

Book 1: The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Check Out My Review Here!)
Book 3: The Bitter Kingdom


If you have read this book, let me know your thoughts below!!

*****

1 comment:

  1. I love this series! The Bitter Kingdom was really good. I hope you like it! Hector is so swoony! :D And I actually met Rae Carson back in 2013 on the Dark Days Tour!
    Ariel @ Bookish Confessions

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I love reading comments so don't be shy and leave a comment if you would like. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Reading!